Farming and rural solicitors

At the heart of the rural community

Buying and selling farms and land

What we can help you with

  • Sale and purchase of land
  • Sale and purchase of farms, country houses, camp sites and residential property
  • Development sales, including option agreements
  • Auction sales packs and purchaser advice
  • Voluntary first registration
  • Removal of agricultural restrictions
  • Obtaining vacant possession before sale
  • Overage/clawback agreements
  • Transfers of equity

Why Thomson Hayton Winkley and The Rural Law Practice?

Land – we are surrounded by it!  Transactions involving land keep us very busy, from the sales of entire farms and estates, to the gifting to a small field to a family member.  There are so many issues to consider with rural land and property that you cannot afford to make mistakes or cut corners.  The property lawyers at the Rural Law Practice and throughout the other offices of Thomson Hayton Winkley at Kendal, Windermere and Kirkby Lonsdale know what to look out for and take great pride in their work, with consistently good feedback and a high level of returning clients and recommendations.

If land has been held in the family for many years, some transactions can involve unregistered land which will need to be registered and if deeds are missing possessory title may need to be sought.  Rights of way can be an issue and we must not forget other rights such as mines and minerals, sporting, fishing and grazing rights.

Having a good working relationship with local land agents and other professionals is also important, we all help each other to help you.  And, whilst we are proud of our local roots and connections, we do also have many clients from further afield.  Your location is not a boundary to instructing us.



Don't take our word for it