Farming and rural solicitors

At the heart of the rural community

Access and other rural land issues

What we can help you with

  • Rights of way and other easement issues
  • Advice on restrictive covenants
  • Boundary disputes
  • Adverse possession
  • Highways and footpaths
  • Commons issues
  • Village greens
  • First registration of land
  • Renewable energies
  • Telecommunication leases
  • Wayleave agreements
  • Multi-party agri-environment agreements

Why Thomson Hayton Winkley and The Rural Law Practice?

Owning land or property might be straightforward, but equally it might throw up a wide range of other legal issues along the way and we are here to help.  From the old and ancient rights – such as common land and village greens, to the more recent developments such as leases for renewable energies or telecommunications, our lawyers can provide practical advice and expert legal knowledge.

Rights of way can be problematic, especially if they involve public footpaths and bridleways.  And boundaries can be another headache – particularly when it comes to working out not just where they are, but who is responsible for maintaining the boundary structure. Old deeds can help, but do not always tell the full story. We know what to look for and how to interpret these and can deal with applications to the Land Registry to rectify your title if necessary.

If disputes arise, our team include dispute resolution lawyers who work closely with their property colleagues to help all parties involved try to reach a compromise, or represent you if Court proceedings become necessary.


Answering your questions

What is an easement?

An easement is right benefiting a piece of land, which is enjoyed over another person’s land.  It might be a right of way, but can also include a right to light, the right to run services over another’s land, the right to use a septic tank or water supply.  The person with the benefit is known as the dominant owner, the person whose land is subject to the easement is known as the servient owner.

Easements can be formally created by deeds (conveyances, transfers etc), they might be implied or they might be acquired over time (by “prescription”).

Don't take our word for it